Important Factor #5 : Group or Self?

I can reveal here that my nature is to be a hermit, someone who just goes about their business but when I have been part of a group or even a leader for the most part I have enjoyed it.

Within running groups it is almost always self driven, determined people who succeed. There are always people in running groups who only run for social reasons. Many would have a foot in both camps...it's not black or white, it's often both. Only the degree varies.

For me ACTVAC has been the best club or group I've been associated with. Having access to track competition on a weekly basis for six months a year and cross country as well has been a bonus. The friendships and support has been great. Supporting others has been fruitful and their performances bring me much joy. Like all close communities there have been some soap opera dramas...such is life, I do my best to avoid them if they conflict with my own morality. Life is too short to have time for the drama of others. Occasionally there are some of my own making. I have a great partner and cheeky dog, we make a great threesome.

Over the last months I've deliberately moved away from the notion of training group and closer to helping individuals, only those who can inspire and even help me. The 6 athletes I train with are all in the top 2 for their age in ACTVAC and the top 4 for their age in Australia. We will all be world ranked highly in 2013 I expect.

The choice group or self? I always have to find the balance between helping others and being the best I can. It's my responsibility to find enough time for myself, time for my threesome and then time for others. As I said I am a hermit by nature.

Today I found time for Kathy and Maria. Kathy 2000m with head cold in 9:10. Maria stretching and jogging on grass, calf issue. Cold and windy

Of me: 3200m @ 10km tempo. I took splits but just ran how I felt without looking at the watch. 10:45. Splits: 80,81,81,81,81,81,81,80,77. 123km in last 7 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024